We are a 5 teacher rural school in Newtown, Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford. Our present school was built in 1937, added to in 1963, 2008 and 2014. There was a very old school on our site in the late 1800s. It was much closer to the road than our present school is today. A very old hedge school existed beside the school years ago.
The poet and hedge school master Donncha Rua Mac Conmara is buried in Newtown Cemetery. There are close links between Newfoundland (Talamh an Éisc) and Newtown.
There are 5 mainstream class teachers, 1 full time SET and 2 part time. We have 1 SNA also.
Our classes are:
- Junior and Senior Infants: Denise Power.
- First and Second class: Breeda Behan.
- Third and Fourth class: Ann Brennan.
- Fifth and Sixth class: Cathy Breen.
- SET and Principal: Mary Foskin.
- Visiting SET: Marie Mulhearne and Aodhnait Flynn.